Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The What You Can Do team shares memories of our favorite beaches

As we get closer to the end of summer and prepare to launch our 2nd annual oceans campaign, our What You Can Do team has been thinking about our favorite beaches. We share a few thoughts below about the coastal spots we return to summer after summer, places where everyday concerns disappear in the midst of natural beauty. 

Alicia Arinella, Executive Producer, What You Can Do

My family has been going to Sarasota, Florida for the past 30 years. Although I have a special affinity for the beaches of New England, there really is nothing like stepping into warm water and getting to see down to my toes. What I love most about the ocean in the Gulf is all the different wildlife that I get to see. Growing up I wanted to be a marine biologist, so it's breathtaking to see manatees, dolphins, and sting rays in their own environment. It is remarkable to get to witness the ocean teeming with life. Not only are these beaches a beautiful sanctuary, but they remind me that there is something bigger than myself.  It helps me to put things into perspective and remember not to sweat the small stuff.  Reminds me....I should plan a trip soon.

Alicia and Jessica Arinella


Jessica Arinella, Creator/Producer/Writer, What You Can Do

Marconi Beach in Wellfleet Massachusetts will always be my favorite beach. I grew up vacationing there and many of my favorite earliest memories were formed running down those sand dunes or running from those waves. I've arguably been on more beautiful beaches, and I have certainly swum in warmer water but Marconi will always have my heart.

The Arinella family


Ashley Kaufman, PR/Communications, What You Can Do

Figure 8 Island on the North Carolina coast (near Wilmington) is my favorite beach - I took my first trip there when I was only a few months old. My family has been vacationing at Figure 8 for generations, so I love to spend time with my husband and daughter in a place with so much history. My favorite memories from beach trips growing up are swimming in the ocean for hours, water-skiing on the Intracoastal Waterway and playing Monopoly on rainy days. Now I love to see my daughter splash in tidal pools and build sand castles on the same beach where I did. We get so excited to spot dolphins in the ocean and waterway, and watch signs of the underwater world from the dock. We live in the moment at the beach, planning our days around the tides and weather. Figure 8 is only a four hour drive from our home in Charlotte, but it feels like another world where time slows down and the smell of sea breeze lifts your spirit. 



Ashley and her grandfather

We would love to hear about your favorite beaches!

No comments:

Post a Comment