Saturday, June 19, 2010

Closing Blog - Gulf Crisis Week

Looking everyday at the devastation in the Gulf, brings up immense and crazy feelings in me. I feel angry. I feel afraid. But mostly I feel hopeless. I don’t think that any of us has a grasp yet on what this catastrophe will mean to our country long term. There just seems to be no way to even conceive of the financial, economic, social and environmental consequences that will undoubtedly plaque our country for years to come. This is EXACTLY the kind of world issue that at times makes me want to hide in a closet and emerge next spring. But then again this is exactly why I created this show to begin with. Overwhelming as this catastrophe is, there are things that all of us can do to help heal this mess.

We didn’t create this tragedy but we will collectively need to accept responsibility for it. And, I guess, the hope is that we can use this as a catalyst for the change we want to see in our country. Whether its renewable energy sources, stricter environmental laws or tougher standards for big corporations now is the perfect time to use our voices and ask for them.
We here at What You Can Do would like to thank the National Wildlife Federation for their help this week. And if you need a quick, easy idea to get involved and help please check out the suggestions on our blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment