Sunday, September 19, 2010

Go Green Fall

I am not crafty. And by crafty, I’m not referring to whether I’m wily or cunning (though I don’t really think I’m those things either). I am referring to my ability to make and/or build crafts – you know – knitting, decoupage (I’m not even really sure what that is), crocheting, scrapbooking etc… I, in fact, have been known to staple my pants instead of having them hemmed (or god forbid, hemming them myself).

So why indeed was I the one to write the Go Green Fall Decorations script? Is there a touch of ‘do as I say, not as I do’? Perhaps. It’s true that I’m not making any promises to take found materials and “make” something. For a while I was going to try to learn how to knit but that faded as soon as the reality of actually knitting hit.

But there is a BUT… and here it is…

I LOVE things that have been made by friends and family. Somehow, I’ve managed to surround myself with people much craftier than myself and I’ve certainly been the better for it. In my apartment are blankets, drawings, sketches and photographs created by the people I love most in my life. So, although I may not be searching for fallen leaves this Fall to put into my latest art project, I can speak to the benefits of surrounding yourself with homemade, personal items that you could never buy from any store.

No comments:

Post a Comment