Saturday, April 2, 2011

Choose Wisely

The Knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade said it best - you must choose, but choose wisely, for as the real choice brings eternal ocean life, the false choice brings death. Okay, I'm paraphrasing. But you get the drift. We are overfishing and most of us don't know what to do.

One of the first phone calls that I made for What You Can Do was to the Monterey Bay Aquarium because of their Seafood Watch Program. The Aquarium has broken down ocean-friendly seafood choices by region. You can download these pocket guides on their website and carry them with you, or if you have an iphone, you can download the free app. These guides help us be better Seafood Consumers, helping us make smarter choices and teaching us to ask the right questions.

My dad says that when he grew up the coasts of New England had some of the richest seafood beds in the world. Unfortunately, we have overfished these waters and what was abundant is now damaged.

Tonight I'm going to a Seafood restaurant with my family and I plan on using my Seafood Watch guide. This will help me make an ocean friendly choice. I'm gonna download a copy to Jack's Droid Then it's always with us.

I recommend that you visit the website, download your own guide and start using them at your restaurants and supermarkets. Better yet, download a few and pass them out to friends. Whenever I see that a friend has an iphone, I swipe it and download the app for them. They thank me for it. So does the ocean and so will you:)

~Alicia



My guide for tonight:



No comments:

Post a Comment