Friday, March 11, 2011

It's the time of year again - Spring Cleaning


It's that time of year again - Spring Cleaning, or making Julie and Melissa's day.

So as I've mentioned before, twice a year, I go through all of my stuff and get rid of things I no longer need - clothes, accessories, books, etc. Since we turn the clocks back on Sunday, I figured my task today would be "Spring Cleaning." However, the act of making Julie and Melissa smile takes one minute, but a true purge takes all day... or two days and counting....

I'm very regimented in doing this elimination. Maybe it's my need to organize everything? Whatever the reason, it inspired Julie to write our Go Green Spring script last year of "Clothing Swap" (see below). The main reason for my purge is that I have acquired a lot of stuff over the years. Stuff that I could not possibly wear without going through at least three clothing changes in a day. Stuff so that I would never be without an extra white t-shirt or eye cream when I was running low. Makeup I bought when I was a red head, or a brunette or a blonde and now no longer fit with my new look. I used to wear red lipstick, now I wear lip balm. I think I've reached the age where glitter is no longer appropriate in makeup. I live in New York, and don't have a walk in closet, so I must cleanse. And it's very rewarding both to me and to the those who benefit from my shedding.

Julie got two big bags of makeup either from when my hair color was darker or from stuff I never even opened and no longer need. I like to have a backup on hand so I never run out, but the result is a fast accumulation of "stuff." Cut too Julie thinking it's christmas morning when she gets a liquid bronzer that I realized just makes me look ridiculous.

Julie and Melissa also had one bag of clothing to go through. It's a bit like Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants that things can fit all three of us, but it does. My style ranges from rocker to preppy, so there's always something to fit both of their different personalities.

However, as good as I try to be, I must admit that there are quite a few things that I can't part with for sentimental reasons. Either they were from a great trip, or they were from my mother, or were my mother's, or remind me of a wonderful time. So there they sit, unused and taking up space. It's just par for the course, but in my vigilance this year, it means more stuff must go.

What about you guys? Do you have any spring cleaning stories to share?
I'd love to hear them- Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment