Monday, April 4, 2011

Make Sting Proud - Adopt an Acre of Rainforest!



When I was growing up, campaigns to help protect the rainforest were everywhere. Every other report seemed to be about the depletion of the rainforest or our ozone layer, but these days, I don't hear as much about this anymore. Turns out though, the threats that faced the rainforest all those years ago are still there; we just don't talk about them as much. Except for Sting, who is the Bono of the rainforest.

Last year, we teamed up with The Rainforest Alliance on videos to help these precious ecosystems. They feature various kid-friendly programs on their site. They have online games that will educate you and your little one on how goods like bananas, chocolate and coffee get on your plate. You can also find coloring book pages and fact sheets that can help your mini-me's get passionate about protecting these resources.

I, however, opted to adopt an acre of rainforest as part of my challenge. Through Adopt-A-Rainforest, you can contribute funding to small conservation groups in tropical countries that work to stop rainforest destruction. Donations to the Adopt-A-Rainforest projects support the purchase and sustainable management of tropical forest lands. Pretty cool. I could choose to support a particular project in a country of interest, or ask the Rainforest Alliance to select one in need. I'm a little indecisive and felt bad singling one out, so I broke my donation up between the 9 options.

And next time you go to the supermarket to stock up on coffee, chocolate or fruit, be sure to purchase Rainforest Alliance Certified products. You can use your buying power to help enact change. There are a lot of options out there. And believe me, they're just as delicious.

Thanks!
Alicia



No comments:

Post a Comment