Wednesday, February 22, 2012

See you later Tiramisu!




Yesterday I thoroughly enjoyed Mardi Gras by making Jambalaya for the first time and enjoying it with friends. I also enjoyed overindulging in sweets because, as I learned, getting your hands on a King Cake in NYC last minute is more difficult than one might expect. In the wake of celebration, the night wound down with me thinking of the day to come, Ash Wednesday, which ultimately led to me wondering what I should give up for Lent. Chocolate is always the first thing that comes to mind. Why? Because it would actually be incredibly difficult for me. I’m pretty much the textbook definition of a chocoholic. Perhaps it was the Jambalaya and all those zesty spices that inspired me to spice things up this year with something new to give up…so to the computer I went to look for some fresh new ideas. Here are some of my favorites that I found:

Give up all unnecessary shopping.

Meditate for 10 minutes a day.

Give up gossip, judging or profanity.

Make a new friend outside your “crowd.”

I really like the idea of doing something for Lent that isn’t just about deciding not to eat something that you probably shouldn’t be eating too much of anyway. I love the idea of making a friend outside your crowd. What a great way to learn something new from someone who leads a life that’s maybe a little different from yours. Or, make someone happy if they need a friend.

These ideas sparked a few of my own including: give up insecurities, give up frustrations, give up hate.

After much deliberation, I have made a decision to give up all dessert. I'm not just talking about the ice cream after dinner, I'm talking about the mid-day cookie, or that Snickers that I think I need to buy on the subway platform because "my blood sugar feels a little low", when I really just want the Snickers. This is something that really will challenge my will power. I’m not to big on meat, or cheese, however, desserts of all kind are what I consider one of the greatest spices of life. So to give them up is a pretty big sacrifice in my book.

You might be thinking, hey I thought she mentioned spicing things up, and it seems like she’s just taking the no chocolate thing to the next level? Well my lovely readers, this is where Lent decision part II comes into play. I have also decided to give up my frustrations for the 40 days prior to Easter.

I’ve always been very easily irritated by things like long lines, crowds, ridiculously slow walkers, etc. Who isn’t! Maybe Gandhi himself would even have a twinge of annoyance on the morning rush hour L train into the city. Maybe not. So, I am going to try my hardest to harness my inner calm, and try to live with more patience, understanding, and acceptance of every situation I find myself in. I think this will be beneficial not only to my state of mind, but undoubtedly to my health as well.

I hope you have all come up with great ideas for something to give up, if you are choosing to do so. If you would like to share, I would love to hear from you!

This is Amanda signing off for now, and I’ll keep you posted as to how things are going. Might be a challenging 40 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment