Thursday, May 10, 2012

Miss Missy's Homestead


I grew up in California.  I considered myself, at my core, a Californian.  In 2005 I moved from the West Coast to the East Coast and moved into a tiny studio apartment in NYC.  I spent the next 6 years in New York, all the while telling people I may live in New York but really I was a Californian.  6 months ago my husband and I moved back to California, Sonoma County to be exact.  I thought moving back would be simple.  No change.  Boy was I wrong.  Total change.  Sometime during the six years that I lived in New York, unbeknownst to me, I became a New Yorker
While I miss the hustle and bustle of city life and I am slowly transitioning into a more simple life. A life of living simply, sustainably and locally.  I have started a backyard garden, am composting, repurposing old items into new items and genuinely trying to change my footprint and lifestyle.  I have always loved these ideas but in the city it was not always possible to grow a garden, or recycle like I wanted too.  Things were just different. 

My first journey into creating my little homestead was working on my very first vegetable garden.   Back in February I took the green thumb plunge decided to start my little seedlings indoors.  This was the very first time I had ever done this.  (Even though I grew up in California we never had a vegetable garden.  My mom grew roses, hundreds of roses, so there was never any room.)  Since the big move last year I didn’t really have a lot of money so I was determined to build my garden for as little money as possible.  Since I didn’t have a lot of seedling holders I tried to find some inexpensive ways of growing my seeds.  I got a few old flower containers from my mom but that was not enough for the amount I wanted to start.  So I also used egg cartons and toilet paper tubes in order to start my veggies.  This turned out to be very easy and inexpensive.  I was surprised at how easy it was to grow seeds in nontraditional holders.  

I cut the egg carton tops off and used the segmented parts for the seeds.  The tops of the cartons I than used to hold the little toilet paper tubes together.  I cut them in 3 sections and then taped the bottoms down.  This worked great.  I highly recommend trying this method out. 


Well that is all for now.  Stay tuned for more blog posts updates about building my own raised beds, creating compost, buying locally, building with salvage etc. as I work toward my little Sonoma county homestead.  

Cheers!

Melissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment