Thursday, May 17, 2012

Missy's Homestead - Helping to Stamp Out Hunger


This past weekend was the Letter Carrier Food Drive or Stamp out Hunger.  As I went on my daily walk around my neighborhood I started to see all these signs in the front yards letting people know about the event. I thought that it sounded like a great idea.  All I have to do is put the food outside my door?! How in the world could you not participate?
One of the things that I am trying to do now that I live in a smaller area I am trying to meet more of the people who are around and help out in my neighborhood.  Like my FedEx driver and my letter carrier.  So one day before the event when I was out washing my car my letter carrier came by.  We chatted a little and I asked how in the heck he was going to carrier all that food.  My letter carrier doesn't get a truck so he said he just straps all the bags to his push cart and calls in one of the trucks if things start to get too heavy.  I let him know that I was going to participate and would leave my bag on the mailbox.  (I live in the back unit of a big house and so I couldn't leave the food on my doorstep).

The next day I went through my cabinets looking for things to donate.  I pulled out the most ridiculous
 grouping of canned goods.  A small can of artichoke hearts, some open wheat pasta and some weird old soup I wasn't sure was still good.  "Dude Melissa" I said to myself,  "I cannot give this to the food donation."  So I took a walk down to my local grocery store and decided to get some better items.  I ended up with some delicious soup, a couple things of Mac and cheese, some organic pasta and some pasta sauce.

I packed all the items up when I got home and put the food outside on my mailbox the night before the collection.  It was so easy.  I was shocked that I didn't see everyone out there doing the same
.  AND...my letter carrier left me a THANK YOU Note!! How cool of him.  He was doing all the real work and he Thanked me.
I admit that I am not thrilled with the USPS.  There are long lines, the price of stamps is always going up and unfortunately sometimes they have employees who work there that are just not very nice.  But this was a great idea.  A nation wide food drive that benefits your local community and is so easy to participate in.  Good on you USPS.  Good on you.

On another note I was also glad that I participated because it was a way to help my new community and feel like I am helping to make a difference in the place I live. I bought products at a local store and gave them to my local letter carrier who helped get it to my local food-bank to help the people that live in my new community.  Another step on my little homestead journey.
Well that is all for now.  See you next week.  And remember even if you didn't participate in Stamp Out Hunger your local food banks will always accept food donations and probably really needs them.  #bethechange   ~ missy

No comments:

Post a Comment