Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Missy's Homestead - Overrun by my Zucchini


Missy's Homstead - Overrun by my Zucchini

Here on my little homestead my current problem is too much zucchini.  I have zucs coming out of my ears.  As I mentioned in my last post I made the mistake of planting 5 zucchini plants and all 5 of them are competing for my affection in the amount that they can produce.   


Oh so many Zucs.

At first I was able to keep up. I could pick them early when they were small and sweet and grill them up with a little olive oil and salt and pepper.  I would have one or two a week and that was great.  But now it is everyday.  Everyday I go out and find another zucchini that needs to be picked, eaten, stored or given away.  I have left several of my neighbors with zucchini and even yellow squash but i sense that this is something everyone is now currently doing in California.  Pawning off their extra squash on anyone who will look at them.  In fact several days ago a banana squash magically appeared in my garden, obviously abandon by my down the street neighbor.  I now finally understand the joke that "August is the only time you need to lock your cars because otherwise you will end up with a car full of squash."
Grill them up!
Now I am not complaining about all the fresh produce I have in my garden.  In fact I am so very grateful.  However, I am starting to run out of ideas for my zucchini and also feel like my mouth might reject eating the squash if I continue on the path I am moving on.  

Currently I have made the following:

1. Several large batches of zucchini Soup (Which I ate and also froze)
2.  Countless amounts of grilled zucchini
3.  One batch of very dry zucchini Muffins (I need to do this again and change the recipe)
4.  One batch of stuffed zucchini with sausage.  (Very good and tasted a lot like lasagna)
5.  Unfathomable amounts of zucchini Pasta.
6.  Several batches of stir fry with zucchini
7.  Many fresh zucchini sticks
8.  And three large freezer bags of chopped up zucchini for the winter

Next up on the agenda:
1.  Zucchini parm (Recipe sent by my friend Alicia)
2.  Fried zucchini strips
3.  Zucchini bread




More, More, More... 

Sometimes I feel like my face has turned into a zucchini.  My current goal is to make sure that I use or give away every single zucchini that comes out of my garden.  I want to make sure that none of the fresh produce that I grow goes to waste....even if I have to make up a stand and give them away for free on the street.  I don't want my garden to contribute to more waste in the world.  (Crossing my fingers I can accomplish this...think of my and the zucchini, especially since the tomatoes are about to start fighting the zucchini for my affections.)

Until next time Consume More, Buy Less and please remember to check out our You Can Do This campaign.  Help us raise 50K in 50 Days $5 at a time. Follow the link for more info. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QrnTbmkU_U&feature=youtu.be

And if you are so inclined you can come join us on Twitter.  @whatyoucando

Cheers from the homestead,

missy
I went away for a day....this is what I found when I got back.

No comments:

Post a Comment