Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Let's Give Thanks!

Gobble gobble…it’s almost turkey day! While it’s a holiday to anticipate all year solely for the overindulgent spread of delicious dishes, it’s also a great time to reflect on what we are truly thankful for, because let’s face it, one of your relatives will pose that question at the dinner table, so you best have something prepared and it better be good! I’ll be honest; I take things for granted all the time. I consciously try not to, but every time I get so much as a hint of a cold I realize, first and foremost, how much I take my health for granted. Being sick is awful! I remember when I was in high school I broke my right thumb tumbling on a trampoline. Talk about taking something as simple as the use of your digits for granted! I seriously couldn’t do anything! Not that I didn’t think my Michael Jackson mitt cast wasn’t kind of awesome, trying to learn how to be a lefty certainly was not! One thing I’m pretty good at not taking for granted is my family and friends. For some reason, especially when it comes to family, these people will be there for you and love you no matter what…unless you really push it, so don’t! That’s crazy! I think about what my life would be like without them, and it looks pretty grim. So, I try my best to be as good to them as they are to me, and I am very thankful to have these people in my life.
All I’m really saying is that if you are reading this on a computer screen right now, chances are you are a pretty fortunate human being. So let’s all spend Thanksgiving sharing the gratitude and warmth that’s in our hearts for all the people and things we have. When you really get down to it, we all have so much, and so much to be thankful for everyday. Of course, what I don’t like thinking about, because it makes me so sad, are all those who are less fortunate. However, instead of just getting teary-eyed about the unavoidable realities and injustices of the world, we can do something about it! Call a friend who needs to hear your voice, smile at strangers, say hello, share what you have and give away what you don’t need. These are just a few ideas, but another important thing to do on Thursday is let the people in you life who you are thankful for know it! I’m including a list of places to volunteer in the New York City area, as well as a list of food banks around the country. I also cannot stand wasting food, so I have included a link to some great ideas for what to do with your leftovers. One easy one minute thing you can do while you shop for the big day is just to pick up a few extra cans to donate to a local food bank. I know I’ll be doing this one!
Hope you all have a very happy and healthy Thanksgiving! In closing I would like to say I am thankful to have each member of the On the Leesh team in my life! These are all amazing women who add so much good to my life! New York City Coalition Against Hunger City Harvest - Rescuing Food for New York's Hungry Food Bank for New York City Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen Feeding America: Hunger-Relief Charity | FeedingAmerica.org Food Pantries | Soup Kitchens | Food Banks Excellent Recipes For Your Leftovers

No comments:

Post a Comment