Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Missy's Homestead: Voting day

Voting Day

Here on my homestead my goals are twofold.  Learning to live a more local and sustainable life and getting involved with my new community.  Yesterday of course was voting day!  Now I am not one for politics.  And I will not go into any of them here in this blog.  But what I do want to touch on is taking advantage simply of the right that we have to vote.   And how you can bond with people in your neighborhood over the simple act of coming together to participate in your civil right.

When I was a child I remember getting up with my mom and going with her to the polls that were in the basement of a local church in my hometown.  I would hide behind the little curtain with her while she voted and than I would get a little sticker from the older folks who were running the polls.

Greg was not as happy to get up at 7am 
When we lived in NYC we voted downstairs inside our building.  It was awesome.  We had to wait in some pretty long lines but we voted with these super old machines that were kind of like voting with a slot machine.  Not only did we have fun voting but we had a great time seeing people we knew from the building and encouraging them to vote.  Not matter what their views.

Greg and our Neighbor high-fiving about voting
Our Polling Center at a local School
















This election was my first in my new county and I had visions of how I could make my experience feel like a small town community.  And to be honest is absolutely lived up to what I thought voting in Somona County would be like.

Greg and I woke up at 7am made some delicious coffee, poured it into our ceramic mugs, picked up our friend who lives in the front house and walked 5 blogs down the the arts charter school near our house to vote.  There was a small line but nothing crazy.  Our volunteers who ran the polls were very nice and in the end we all got our little "I voted" sticker.

I am grateful to be able to walk down to my polling station, drink my homemade coffee and converse with my other neighbors who were waiting in line along with me to voice their choice.
Our neighbor Emily with one of the polling volunteers





Greg adding his voice


No matter what your choices are please remember that a lot of people, especially a lot of women, took the time to make sure everyone in this country has the right to voice their opinion in a nationwide voting system.  Go on out and see how you can make your community a better place.


More fun projects from the homestead next week!

Cheers,

Missy
Everyone loves a sticker

No comments:

Post a Comment