Friday, March 20, 2015

Remembering to Conserve Water in Your Everyday Life

Water is a sacred source here in California - we are in one of the biggest droughts seen in hundreds of years. We all need to do our part to conserve water when we can. Since moving into a large place with a lawn, backyard and garden, I must double my efforts to be conscious of my water usage. All the usual conservation efforts come to mind….taking shorter showers, only running the dishwasher when full, turning off the tap while brushing my teeth or washing my face. But there are other ways that I can help conserve water in my daily life. Here are some of the mama-inspired ways I have been trying to conserve our quickly depleting water supply.  


John Warren relaxing in his water-saving Pink Whale

1.  Baby Bath Time: I don’t know about your little ones, but my little guy is constantly messy. More often than not he needs a bath every night. By using a smaller tub or a water dam - you can help save water when bathing little children by not having to fill up a bath tub. I use this small pink whale for my guy but this bathtub dam tool looks cool. I think it would be a good investment for my growing son’s bath time. They originated in Australia and England but you can buy them online now.
Baby Bathtub Dam:  http://www.babydam.com / or http://www.babybunting.com.au/baby-dam-bathwater-barrier.html

2. Turning off my humidifier: My son has been sick recently and the area that we just moved to is rather dry, so I have a humidifier to help him breath easier. However, I realized that I wasn’t turning it off during the day when we were out and about. Not only is this a waste of electricity but it wastes the water that I have to use in the humidifier. Making a conscious effort to turn water using appliances like this off when I am not in the room is a simple way to make the water last longer.  


I can save water by turning off my humidifier
when leaving the room
3.  Make the most of a dishwasher/laundry cycle: When you have a bigger household with little ones running around, the laundry and dishes never seem to end. I just recently started using these appliances in my new place. Now that I am running a dishwasher and clothes washer  - I try my best to only run the dishwasher when full and set my clothes washer for the right amount of laundry. By only running these appliances when they are full or by selecting the correct cycle size, I can save water in my day to day life.


4. Conscious toilet flushing: No need to get into details about what this means. I think most of us know the term “Yellow Mellow, Brown Flush It Down.” We have been pretty good about keeping to this rule in my house. We can save many gallons of water every week by being careful with our toilet flushing. 

What are you doing in your everyday life to help save water?  

Comment below and let us know, we always want to hear from you.

Cheers,

Missy


4 comments:

  1. Wow! Those tips on how to conserve water are really applicable on a daily basis. In our time, we should really consider those little things to conserve not just water, but also energy and money. Thanks for sharing that, Missy! Kudos and all the best to you!

    Lorenza Coon @ Central Basin

    ReplyDelete