Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Missy's Corner: Making the Pledge to Conserve Water During a Drought

Most of the U.S. is experiencing a drought.  However, where I live in California is one of the most series locations where this drought is causing major effects.  And unfortunately for the United States as a whole, and California specifically  there is no relief in sight.  

I try to be a good steward of the earth.  I compost and recycle whenever I can.  I try to buy used or recycled materials etc. etc.   But even I have bad habits that could be fixed.  Especially when it comes to my water use habits.   I want to be a part of the change and a part of the culture that is helping to conserve and not waste the precious water that we do have.  I try my best not to let the water run for no reason or to not flush my toilet if it doesn’t need to.  However, I could do better. 
Turning off the water in my kitchen sink.
I am pledging to use the water more efficiently while doing dishes. 

I need to hold my self and my actions to an even greater standard.  I need to be better about not running the water while I am doing the dishes and I need to be better about not letting so much water run in the shower before it gets hot.  Often times I will turn on my shower and than get distracted by walking out of the bathroom.  This month, in honor of Earth Day, I am going to pledge to not walk out of the bathroom while getting my shower ready.  I am going to pledge to be better about turning off the water while I do my dishes. I am going to pledge to use some of the cold water from my shower on my plants on the balcony.  Even these tiny changes can help conserve water during a drought.  If I can change my shower time from 10 mins to 5 mins I could help save an average of 12.5 gallons of water.

My shower in my apartment.
I pledge to not let the water run longer than I need to.
And to take shorter showers whenever possible.


I don’t have a lawn or a dishwasher but for those of you that do by cutting your sprinkler use by 3 to 5 mins you could save an average of 2 to 5 gallons per watering session.  By running the dishwater only when it is full you could save an average of 15 gallons of water.

These little changes maybe not seem like much but in a drought as serious as California is seeing, even these little acts of conservationism can help make a difference on a large scale if we all make the choice to change our consumption habits.  It is so easy to just turn on the tap and have clean, fresh water.  And we want that feeling to last for centuries.  Let’s all pledge to mother earth that this month (and the months to follow) that we will try even that much harder to make big steps to cut back on our  water wasting consumption habits.



Southern California has a website called www.bewaterwise.com that can help you become more water wise.  Learn about water saving tips, ideas, programs and water saving devices via their website.    The also have information about their rebate and incentives programs for certain water efficiency improvements for homes and business.  

This is a map of the current u.s. drought taken from www.http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu
The EPA website also lists some great ways that you can help save and use water efficiently.  http://epa.gov/watersense/pubs/res.html

Be the change you want to see in the world.  I am making the pledge to help conserve more water.  What will you pledge?   Please comment below about ways you help conserve water or how you are making a difference.  We want to hear from you.

Until next time,
Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment